lunedì 17 giugno 2013

From 10 to 0 and from 0 to 500.

Tired. That's the right word to describe me during my post-graduation period. And I am not talking about physical tiredness- I am talking about exhaustion, I am talking about when you just cannot take it anymore. I cannot stand this people, this society, these rules, this time, this everything. I do not feel like living, I rather stay in bed avoiding any type of contact to the society.

Then on one day I decide that I cannot stand this way of not living anymore, this wasting of days away. Pretty sure of my skills I get on a plane, heading north to an indefinite place. For a few days the place is Vienna where I have some embarassing work interviews (resuming my life in 5 minutes and in 2 languages in front of an audience, role playing, culture tests). Vienna means to me such an incredibly happy past that unfortunatelly will never ever be back. Erasmus is just one, you do it, it ends and does not come back but still it keeps living inside of you in every moment, forever. Each single corner of Vienna reminds me of the past, but that's not what I am looking for. I am looking for the future. I get on a train to Munich, my suitcase is so heavy, it almost breaks. I am thinking about my departure, again. Well, it was so short I cannot remember much, it's just me in Rome Fiumicino, a short waiting and a short flight. A goodbye to my parents without any clue abou when I was going to see them again, a suitcase with some winter clothes, but also summer clothes. Stuff that would be ok in the north, but also in the south. I didn't know where I was going to end up, heading north, then down, then east, the west, it will all depend on the place where I will be able to get a job and pick up the chance to start again depending completely on myself.

I arrive in Munich, I buy a sandwich and the clerk doesn't really get my German, I feel demotivated. I look for my hostel, Goetheplatz. I have been reading Goethe since I was 16, and now I am at his square...
At the hostel, the receptionist is a young Italian girl, this gives me some hope! But there's no internet in the hostel, that's really bad as it forces to me to go to the near McDonald, aparently for a coffee, but actually to use 40 minute free internet for my house hunting. I visit flats and get a room in one for one month. One month that will be spent having work interviews and feeling quite alone. Entire days sending my CVs and chatting with my friends. Small trial periods at work, successfully payed, but still insuccessfully unemployed. My German improves, and I start to get to know people. Erasmus and local people. Many compatriots too. Mostly people who came and went, friends that you quickly switch, names on your telephone list who you are looking at now and cannot recall who the hell they are.

The first month is finished and I am packing. I am not leaving, I have only a little money left but thinking about the desolation waiting for me at home I prefer to move to another flat, one more month here in Munich. When you don't have a job you cannot aspire to a longer rent. However, I feel that I am not going to leave Munich, I feel that here I have quite a few chances to make it. I compare my dialy work interviews to my daily long sleeps of when I lived at my parents' house. Yes, I definitely have quite a few chances here.

A look to the calendar, it has been a month and one week since I moved here, that's a lot. I think about leaving Munich but that's not what I really want to. I still haven't got to know the city, I cannot leave now. I send my CV to a place where I already did as I arrived in Germany. I don't really care if they told me they're interested and they will let me know as soon as possible... After 10 minutes I get an invitation from them to an interview. I am angry, I just had an interview at the Best Western where two girls refused me for not having the skills I claimed I had. I could accept such critics from someone much more skilled than me, but two idiots who barely speak their native language and some school level English are not permitted to do that to me. I guess that people take my silence as an inability of speaking. But I am just a quite person instead.

At my next work interview, instead, I speak to the owner, impressed by CV he just lets me speak, he does not ask the typical shit I was used to be asked (your pros and cons, how would a friend describe you in 5 words, do you believe in true love). I think that the main problem with these work interviews is that people just don't know how to analyze people. Why are you asking me so much bullshit instead of discussing my skills, experiences and ideas?
The interview seemed to me quite good, he says he will call me tomorrow. Tomorrow he doesn't call me, in the night he sends me an e-mail telling me I am hired. I am not going back home as a loser, yay. Happiness.


A new flat, money, bank account and contracts. I suddenly feel old, too many responsabolities, all of them at the same time, I feel that a crisis is approaching me. I feel in chains. This bureacracy does not let me stay free, I cannot have free days if I haven't communicated that in advance, I only have 24 day holidays per year, I work in the weekends when everyone else is having fun. I also work on the 1st of May. That hurts!

Less freedom, and slaved by my work. And it rains all the time. But I do have fun at work, I get to know people, I make friends, and then they're quickly gone. A costant feature which accompanies my life since the very beginning. The happines generated by the new life has to face the chains setted by my work. Some days I feel so tired (physically, this time) that I just sleep, work and eat.

For a week I am back to my hometown, and everything is “foreign” to me, I really want to be back in Munich as soon as possible. And I'm back to Munich, working and barely having time to take a stroll along the city. In 2013 there's aparently no summer, and the radiators are still on, it doesn't matter if it's already June.

After all, what hurts more is the fact that I am not integrated. I live in a bubble which no matter the helpfulness and friendship of people cannot break, I live the city only during small breaks I take from work, these chains are tight and they hurt a lot.

Nevertheless I think that a period of non integration (and fear of everlasting non integration) is a phase that you have to get through. It just has to happen. I guess everyday I'm going to integrate better, improving the language and using my spare time for social and cultural aims.

Apart from this heavy non integration stone, the story sounds perfect, and I really got what I wanted. Some commitment, enthusiasm and will make it possible to change your own life and reach your goals. I made it, and I ain't particularly a genious, therefore I guess anyone can.


Cheers.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento